York City Centre is home to many wonderful sites and businesses and many people utilise different means of transport to get into the City, including pedal cycles.
The following message from York City NPT contains advice for travelling into the city on pedal cycle and security tips to keep your cycle safe and protected from damage or would be thieves.
York has good cycle infrastructure and access into the city centre can be done by designated cycle lanes if required. There are a multitude of cycle racks dotted around the city centre and these are a good place to store your cycle for the day. The cycle racks are located in prominent areas of the city and most have information boards on how to secure your cycle. If you do cycle into the city centre please consider the following:
1) Always lock your cycle – ensure you use a good cycle lock to secure your cycle. Utilising a lock deters criminals who may be after easy pickings and ensuring the lock is adequate enough to secure your cycle will go a long way in protecting it.
2) Take things with you – Panniers and Lights are easily removed – Take these with you to prevent others helping themselves.
3) Picture it – Take a photograph of your bike and note any serial numbers or unique identifying features. If you are unfortunate to become a victim of crime then having this information to hand will assist North Yorkshire Police with their investigations.
4) Get it Marked – The City NPT teams are going to be running some property marking events specifically for cycles over the next month. Thieves often remove serial numbers to try and disguise stolen property but property marking is a discreet way of adding an identity to your property which may assist in you getting it back in the unfortunate event of it being stolen.
5) Get it registered – If you are unable to come to one of out events to get your cycle marked then visit http://www.immobilise.com and register your property for free. You can add photographs and any serial numbers to this site and this database can be checked by the police for stolen cycles and other property.
6) Don’t leave it – Avoid leaving your cycle overnight if possible. During the day the city is busy with people but at night it can often be deserted, giving would be thieves more of an opportunity to try and steal your property.
Please be vigilant if you’re visiting the city centre and report any suspicious activity in or around the cycle racks to 101 or 999
Can we also remind you that cyclists are to adhere to the highway code and there are a number of no entry and one way streets within the city centre
Parts of the city centre is also pedestrianised between 10.30am and 5.00pm and anyone found cycling within this area between these times may be liable for a fine of up to £100
If you would like any further information then please contact the York City Neighbourhood Team via 101, email SNAyorkcity@northyorkshire.pnn.police.uk or via Twitter @NPTYorkCity
Follow them on Facebook or Twitter for up to date information on their activities.
If you are wanting to report a crime then this is to be done via 101 and in an emergency call 999.